[NCLUG] OT: Racks? Any suggestions on Suppliers?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Fri May 4 13:34:46 MDT 2001

	Also, does anyone know how to get in on...ahem...crashing
	dot coms?  A company I used to work for had some FINE
	equipment.  And I've heard of a fair number of other
	local companies that might be folding.  They've gotta
	sell off some stuff, right?  Where is it sold to?

About half the time the entire company assets are picked up by
a partner/creditor directly from the trustee with the approval
of the creditor committee for the physical and IP assests. Most
of the assests are typically liqudated via local/national surplus
dealers network at private sale - sometimes the company contines
operating as a division of the new owner.

The other half of the time they are liquidated by the trustee
at public auction. I used to make a good side living reselling
stuff from Ross-Dove (Harry Ross and the Dove Family) auctions,
now known as DoveBid (http://www.dovebid.com/), of western states
mfgrs where modest sided lots ($1-5K) typically go for less than
$0.10 on the dollar. This can be great fun with excellent savings
for personal purchases and makeing a few bucks on the side. Combine
it was some personal travel/vaction too to double the fun to write
off a vaction as business travel.

John