[NCLUG] compactflash-to-ide adapter & linux

Daniel Herrington daniel.herrington at home.com
Mon May 7 17:56:02 MDT 2001

Two words... cool... COOOOOL!

After several weeks of debugging, I found out that I had bought a bad
compactflash card.

After replacing the card, I now have a totally solid-state embedded
linux system in my robot.  No hard drive, floppy drive, etc.  Low
power, low weight, small form factor.  I've tried a couple of
different CF-IDE adapters, both work great (now that I have a new CF
card).

CF-IDE Adapter Vendors:
-----------------------
http://www.pcengines.com/cflash.htm
http://www.flashmemory.com.au

Other Resources:
----------------
http://embedded.linuxjournal.com (_excellent_ series of articles on
building small floppy-based installation of linux, another article on
using compactflash card)
http://www.byolinux.org (build your own linux instructions)

Both vendors sell their adapters for roughly $20 plus shipping.

Target has 32MB CompactFlash cards starting at $49.

Best Regards,
   Daniel

--
Daniel Herrington, KC0IFV