[NCLUG] help, network connections

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu May 10 19:35:58 MDT 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 06:18:37PM -0600, rosing at peakfive.com wrote:
>machine to another. I have ethernet cards in both machines, a crossed
>cable between them, and I can ping one machine from the other. I just
>can't telnet, or ftp, or anything else. I've changed hosts.deny to be

What happens when you telnet or FTP?  Are you getting the "Connected"
message and it's hanging (a DNS problem), or are you getting "Connection
refused" (meaning the server isn't running), or are you getting absolutely
nothing back from the telnet command (likely a firewall problem)?

 YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A
 TENDER MOMENT.  -- Gordon Cole, _Twin_Peaks_