[NCLUG] /etc/exports question

Michael Coffman coffman at ftc.agilent.com
Fri May 11 08:30:27 MDT 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, J. Paul Reed wrote:

 > On Fri, 11 May 2001, Michael Coffman wrote:
 >
 > >   /home *.ftc.agilent.com(rw)
 >
 > According to the manpage, this will only work if the machine name is
 > joker.ftc.agilent.com... which it seems to be...
 >
 > > I also tried:
 > >
 > >   /home 130.29.208.0/28(rw)
 > >
 > > With no luck.  I was not sure how to format that last one.  It is a class
 > > C network.
 >
 > The syntax for IP addresses is address/netmask, so that should be
 > 130.29.208.0/255.255.255.0

This syntax works fine.  That is what I will use for now, but I sure would like
to be able to use netgroup entries.

 > > Any ideas where to look for why only the host name is working in
 > > /etc/exports?
 >
 > Check out the manpage for /etc/exports (man exports), and also see what an
 > exportfs -a gives you...

exportfs -a runs with out errors.

The yp and * entries  still do not work.  The entries show up ok when doing a
showmount -e.

I had already checked out the manpage.

For reference it says:

       single host
              This  is  the most common format. You may specify a
              host either by an abbreviated  name  recognized  be
              the  resolver,  the fully qualified domain name, or
              an IP address.

       netgroups
              NIS netgroups may be given  as  @group.   Only  the
              host  part  of each netgroup members is consider in
              checking for membership.  Empty host parts or those
              containing a single dash (-) are ignored.

       wildcards
              Machine names may contain the wildcard characters *
              and ?.  This can be used to make the  exports  file
              more  compact;  for  instance, *.cs.foo.edu matches
              all hosts in the domain cs.foo.edu. However,  these
              wildcard  characters  do  not  match  the dots in a
              domain name, so the above pattern does not  include
              hosts such as a.b.cs.foo.edu.

The example shows:

EXAMPLE
       # sample /etc/exports file
       /               master(rw) trusty(rw,no_root_squash)
       /projects       proj*.local.domain(rw)
       /usr            *.local.domain(ro) @trusted(rw)
       /home/joe       pc001(rw,all_squash,anonuid=150,anongid=100)
       /pub            (ro,insecure,all_squash)EXAMPLE

But it does not seem to be working correctly.

 > Hmm... I should probably go to bed now... I've been trying to get my APC
 > UPS to UPS all night without much luck... fsck has been nice and busy all
 > night...

 Sleep is good :)

 > Later,
 > Paul