[NCLUG] help, network connections

Matt Rosing rosing at peakfive.com
Fri May 11 14:40:07 MDT 2001

Mike wrote:
>are those ports open in /etc/inetd.conf?

There is no /etc/inetd.conf. This is RedHat 7.1, if that helps.

John wrote:
>Make sure you actually have the servers installed and running.
>
>if a RedHat derivative:
>	#  rpm -q -a | egrep "ftpd|telnet"
>	telnet-0.10-31
>	wu-ftpd-2.6.0-14.6x

Telnet is there but ftpd is not. So I added ftpd and rpm complained
about xinetd being needed so I also added that to my new machine.

>In later versions with xinetd:
>
>	[root at bass /root]# chkconfig --list
>	xinetd based services:
>		telnet:		on
>		wu-ftpd:	on

I turned on wu-ftpd but there's no entry for telnet. Does this mean I
can't telnet to this machine? But I should be able to ftp to it? In
any case, I can't do either.

Sean wrote:
>What happens when you telnet or FTP?  Are you getting the "Connected"
>message and it's hanging (a DNS problem), or are you getting "Connection
>refused" (meaning the server isn't running), or are you getting absolutely

I get "connection refused". I'm using ip numbers just to skip any dns
problem. So how do I tell if the servers are up?

One other thing I tried was just starting xclock with the display
redirected to the other machine. After doing xhost + I can do this
from a remote machine to my old machine (when it's connected to the
cable modem) but not from my new machine to the old one. I don't know
if this has something to do with how I have to start X when I'm not
connected to my cable modem. For some odd reason I have to shut down
eth0 before I can bring up X when I just have my two machine connected
together.

Thanks for your time,

Matt