[NCLUG] mp3 encoding trouble w/lame,gogo

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Mon May 14 06:31:45 MDT 2001

I've had trouble with my mp3 encoder producing core files rather
than mp3 files in the past. I just upgraded from 6.2 to 7.0 and
saw that KRUD comes complete with gogo, so instead of fetching my
own copy of (not)lame, I just used that.

I still got too many core files (3 out of 64 files I was encoding
last night) which makes me wonder: am I the only one who gets
these, or do any of you mp3 encoding people also see a lot of
core files. (I do most of my encoding overnight, but I did see
in the xterm buffer that one was due to a segmentation fault.)
Is this a problem with lame and gogo, or my machine? If the
latter, it must be HW since I just changed all the SW.

Interestingly, I only did 65 out of about 85 files, because early
on, gogo created an mp3 file 2147483647 bytes long, which you will
of course recognize as the decimal representation of the magic
number 0x7FFFffff.  This is particularly interesting since the
input file was a mere 56 MB. I suppose it would have kept going if
Linux hadn't got in the way and truncated it. Maybe I should switch
to the 2.4 kernel, or reiserfs, or whatever it is that lets me have
bigger files.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com