[NCLUG] Hard disk failure

dobbster dobbster at dobbster.com
Tue May 22 15:14:06 MDT 2001

As I pointed out in a previous NCLUG message, I just discovered that my recent
complaints about losing my ext2 file systems may be nothing more than academic.
I was using this particular system for two purposes:

1. To store mp3s

2. To back up other machines without a tape drive

...and I just discovered that the mp3s are all on one of the FAT partitions,
which survived the destruction.

Therefore, I have nothing against wiping out all of the remaining ext2
partitions and starting from scratch again.  I just got a copy of Mandrake 7.2
(Irrationally, I am partial to MDK) and I am anxious to try it out.

(To those who have offered me further assistance: If you like, I could retain
this system in its current state for experimentation, to see if we can recover
it...  Let me know if you'd like me to do this.  Thanks particularly to Matt
Clauson and Chris Hardy, among others.  Also, I will attend the next NCLUG
meeting no matter what.)

Regardless, thank you for all of the help; this has been a great education in
learning my way around some of the tools used to recover from system crashes,
using alternate superblocks, messing with ext2fs, etc.

Mark (dobbster at dobbster.com)