[NCLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installed again.

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Fri Nov 2 06:03:23 MST 2001

Les wrote:

> My only complaint so far is that I can't find xman on the system
> yet.

I don't see xman on the RPMS page for Mandrake, so I wonder if it
comes with it.

Have you tried the commands

    whereis xman

or

    find / -name "xman*"

to see if it is installed?

> Also I'm trying to figure out how to re-order the boot loader so it
> defaults to windows.

The man page "lilo.conf" covers this well. You'll need to add some
lines to /etc/lilo.conf:

     prompt
     timeout=50
     default=win98

and the stanza

     other = /dev/hda1
     table = /dev/hda
     label = win98

This is assuming that Windows is installed on /dev/hda, the first hard
drive and that it is in the first partition, /dev/hda1. If you don't
want to call it  "win98", you can name it whatever. Just don't put any
spaces in it, and keep it short.

The prompt and timeout will allow you to chose whichever you want at
boot time, with the system waiting 5 seconds and then booting into
win98.

Thus the full lilo.conf file will look something like this (this is
from my RH setup, with lines for win98 added):

     boot=/dev/hda
     map=/boot/map
     install=/boot/boot.b
     prompt
     timeout=50
     message=/boot/message
     default=redhat

     image=/boot/vmlinuz
      label=redhat
      read-only
      root=/dev/hda6

     other=/dev/hda1
      table=/dev/hdb
      label=win98

Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo -v after editing the /etc/lilo.conf
file to set the changes before rebooting.

BOF