[NCLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installed again.

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Nov 5 13:33:25 MST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "shaggydan" <dmiles at holly.ColoState.EDU>
To: <nclug at nclug.org>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [NCLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installed again.

> Mandrake is built on RH, correct? What is the advantage of running
> Mandrake? Please believe me that this is not a rehtorical question,
I'm
> really not informed about it...

I believe that the major difference is that Mandrake is compiled
specifically for i586 and above, whereas stock RedHat is compiled
for i386 and above.  This gives the binaries the ability to use
the processor features and supposibly run faster.  On the other
hand, Mandrake will not run on a 486.

I have heard people swear about its effectiveness.  Personally, I'm
dubious.

Of late they have diverged quite a bit more.  I think now the only
thing Mandrake has in common with Red Hat is the use of RPM. :)