[NCLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installed again.

Larry Butler larry_butler at hp.com
Mon Nov 5 13:59:16 MST 2001

On Monday 05 November 2001 01:33 pm, Michael Dwyer wrote:

> I believe that the major difference is that Mandrake is compiled
> specifically for i586 and above, whereas stock RedHat is compiled
> for i386 and above.  This gives the binaries the ability to use
> the processor features and supposibly run faster.  On the other
> hand, Mandrake will not run on a 486.

FWIW, while most of Red Hat is compiled to run on all i386 and above, they
also provide alternate compiled versions of both the kernel and C library for
newer CPUs.  The installer automatically picks the best one you can use.

These other versions of the kernel (and maybe libc too) mainly exist to take
advantage of features of newer CPUs, but I would expect that they would also
be compiled for with the right optimization for those newer CPUs.

> Of late they have diverged quite a bit more.  I think now the only
> thing Mandrake has in common with Red Hat is the use of RPM. :)

Once upon a time Mandrake had been more aggressive about using the very, very
latest version of important or flashy things.  I have no idea it that's still
true.

Larry