[NCLUG] (Promise) IDE RAID For Linux?

Bill Thorson thorson at aster.com
Mon Nov 5 22:51:54 MST 2001

> Just FYI, Promise is coming out with a new 6-channel RAID board that
> they're listing Linux support for.  Based on my benchmarking recently
> of IDE versus SCSI in a RAID-0 configuration, it should be a pretty
> sweet system you can set up for around $800 (20GBx6 + card) and up
> (depending on drives).  My testing using kernel RAID on 3 drives had
> pretty darn good performance.

This card sound really cool.  It's called the SuperTrak SX6000.
I just found it on the promise.com site and here's what it says
about OS support:

"Works with Microsoft Windows 2000/NT4; RedHat Linux 7.0, 7.1;
TurboLinux 6.0, 6.1;
SuSe Linux 7.0, 7.1;OpenLinux eServer 2.3,
OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 "

This sounds to me like they really did their homework to prove it
works with Linux.  I wonder why KRUD is not in that list.

Bill