[NCLUG] IDE RAID For Linux

DJ Eshelman dj at djeshelman.com
Tue Nov 6 12:12:15 MST 2001

Hmmm... definately worth checking into...  IDE RAID is great since the
cost is so low (of course, it can't exactly touch the speed of my
Ultra160 15000 RPM drive, but hey, concidering those cost about as much
as three IDE drives, I don't mind...

The problem I've run into with people that claim "Linux" Support is
there is always a catch.  With Highpoint, the catch was that the
controller worked _as an IDE interface_ but not as an actual RAID
controller.   In other words, they were unwilling to put any effort
towards kernel development or even complied drivers that would actually
support the RAID function (IDE is easy since the controller is contained
on the drive itself- the card is merely an interface and therefore would
be very easy to support on the BIOS level for simple IDE).  So my big
question is (and partially answered because you guys rule) if I can't
get my highpoint controller to work native RAID in Linux- then which one
would be best to go with for my 'end of the year' upgrade?
Thanks for the continuing feedback!
-DJ