[NCLUG] IDE RAID For Linux

gelfand gelfand at lamar.colostate.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:02:52 MST 2001

Has anyone mentioned the 3ware Escalade IDE-RAID cards?

Sadly, it seems that 3ware will no longer be selling the
cards by themselves--though I assume that they are built
into 3ware's Palisade storage units.  Resellers should have some
in stock, for a little while.

Linux support for the cards is excellent: drivers have been in
the kernel at least since the 2.2 series, and there's an administration
daemon that works well.

One gotcha is that, at least for the 7000 series (with ATA-100
support), your motherboard has to support some recent PCI
spec.  I can't recall the details, but I do know that a not-so-ancient
BX-based Asus motherboard wouldn't work with one of those
cards.

Regards,
Marty Gelfand
Dept of Physics, CSU