WinModems (Was [NCLUG] IDE RAID For Linux)

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Tue Nov 6 17:34:17 MST 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:51:14PM -0700, Michael Dwyer wrote:
>That's where I'm trying to go with the transparent RAID idea.  Support
>for Linux is difficult to find when the drivers are complex.  But if

If that's what you really want for RAID, then you should be talking about
the IDE-to-SCSI or SCSI-to-SCSI RAID solutions.  With them, you get
(usually) an external RAID enclosure, drop SCSI or IDE drives into it, and
then connect it via SCSI to your computer.  It looks like a big-ass SCSI
drive to the computer.  Promise has two of those for $1300 to $2000 for the
enclosure and the controller.

>And yeah, I know what John Carmack says about Winmodems.  I think
>he's dreaming.  You want less latency in gaming?  *Lose* the modem.

My comparisons showed that my LTWinmodem had at least 50 to 100ms lower
ping-times than a comperable external modem...  The extra layer of
modulating to RS-232 sucks...

 Get your data structures correct first, and the rest of the program will
 write itself.  -- David Jones