[NCLUG] Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

dmiles dmiles at holly.colostate.edu
Sun Nov 11 10:53:26 MST 2001

And here's why you're full of it:

1. Money has less power than you think, it's all about marketing and MS is a master at that.
2. A very few people overall are in the computer profession, for most of them the computer is a tool to accomplish other things. People want to use tools that are easy, they want to get their work done, they don't want to have their work interrupted while they learn how to use the computer. UNIX variants are still too hard to use for most of them.
3. The X window system has a strange double-buffer thing that makes media hard to do in LIN and it's really pretty good for Windows. Furthermore, MS keeps comming up with media formats that sound and look pretty good with less and less space, it's hard for LIN to keep up with this stuff (do you have any idea how hard it was for me to get an avi player?).
4. Windows is what the public uses already and it's an industry standard. People are not going to be frightened by the cost because they've come to believe that the opperating system is simply part of the cost of buying a computer.
5. Hardware compatibility can be an issue. Some hardware manufactures don't want to release the necessary info if they know it would become open source.