[NCLUG] printing in color

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Nov 12 14:16:07 MST 2001

Often, jobs sent to the printer go through an output filter ("of:"
line in the printcap?).  That filter has its own configs, and is
probably what you are looking for.

The problem is that there are myriad printing systems out there,
and I don't know my way around them. (I don't have to -- PostScript
is niiiice.  But I digress...)  Tracing your way through the
stack of interfaces is kind of daunting for me to do from here
with the limited information you've given me so far.

Another hint, though:  Likely, the program doing this Diffy-
Whatshisname stuff is GhostScript.  What these printer filters
usually do is this:

 o accept a file
 o determine the file type
 o Plain text is run through a text->PS converter like mpage,
   enscript, or nenscript.
 o The resulting PS file is sent through GhostScript, which
   converts it into the right format for whatever printer
   you have.
 o The resulting raw file is sent to the parallel port

Your setting is probably in the step where GhostScript converts
PS files into raw raster files.

Where this configuration lives is beyond me.  However, if you
are running LPRng, this might help: It has a general output
filter: ifhp -- If you are using this, you might check the
/etc/ifhp.conf file.

If this doesn't help, more information to the list might.
Send us your printcap, and output from the 'lpq' command.
Tell us what kind of printer you are using, etc.  Maybe
someone out here will be able to pipe up with a more
helpful comment.

From: "dmiles" <dmiles at holly.colostate.edu>