[NCLUG] ssh - very slow to initiate

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Tue Nov 13 22:33:46 MST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, S. Luke Jones wrote:

> Any idea why it takes me >15 seconds (subjective time = 15 years)
> to initiate an SSH connection from my P75 (149.50 BogoMIPS) to
> Front Range Internet over a 56k dialup?

Do: ssh -v my.securehost.example.com

Find out where it's stopping.

Whenever I've had this problem, it generally turns out to be a DNS issue,
as Eric mentioned. But the -v should give you some debug output to figure
out specifically what is taking so long.

For instance, on our central Unix machines at Cal Poly, which run HP-SUX,
getting a tty through ssh takes a really long time... -v helped with
debugging that (which is, unfortunately, something that can't be fixed...
chalk up another win for HP-SUX).

Later,
Paul
   J. Paul Reed               preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
   It's amazing what a little brain damage will do for your credibility.
                                              -- Leonard Shelby, Memento