[NCLUG] Fighting TigerMP

NIESEWAND,OLIVER (Non-HP-FtCollins,ex1) oliver_niesewand at non.hp.com
Tue Nov 20 14:05:11 MST 2001

Well, Newegg's processor prices seem significantly cheaper - $210 for an OEM
Athlon XP 1.53GHz (1800+) and free shipping, compared to $218 for the same
processor from Mwave and nearly $10 in shipping costs. Newegg also seem to
take Mwave on video card and HD prices too.

On the other hand, Mwave have the latest KT266A Soyo Dragon motherboard
which has had great reviews and is widely held to be spanky (with onboard
RAID, LAN, *and* a steathly black PCB board to melt into the shadows of your
PC), and Newegg doesn't.  What is it with colored PCBs these days? Have we
really come to this as a differentiator? They all seem to be either blue,
black, or that particularly horrific shade I call Ming The Merciless Purple.

Also Mwave just seems to have more choice in the three categories I sampled
(for example, you can pretty much rule out Newegg if you want any variety of
choice for a SCSI drive - it's IBM or nothing).

You pays your money, as The Great Sage once observed, and you takes your
choice.

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 08:28:40PM -0700, S. Luke Jones wrote:
> >NIESEWAND,OLIVER (Non-HP-FtCollins,ex1) wrote:
> >> If you are considering an internet vendor, then might I recommend one?
> >
> >I really like my dealings with mwave.com. I heard about them
> >in the dukeofurl's Linux PC hardware buying guides. I bought
> >my last system and an assortment of odds and ends since then.
>
> As I was reading the newegg recommendation I was thinking "That reminds me
> of mwave".  I've also been very happy with them, and they have really good

"Newegg reminds you of mwave", indeed!  Compare them.  They are
IDENTICAL!  Or, I should say, they use identical online store software.
The logos are a little different, and they stock different brands of
HDDs, but the actual layout and mechanics of the web pages is
identical!

But you were all too late.  I bought my drives from GoogleGear.com.  It
annoys the hell out of me that they leach off the good name of
Google.com, but it turns out that they are a good enough business that I
have to overlook that.