[NCLUG] mount audio cd

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Mon Nov 26 02:30:36 MST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:46:36PM -0700, rotering at animalcules.com wrote:
>If you're going to be ripping a bunch of CDs I recommend the use of
>grip. It's a very nice ripper/encoder interface that subsumes
>cdparanoia and can encode using a number of encoders including
>bladeenc and oggenc.

GRIP is not bad, particularly since he added my patches to eject at the end
of a rip, and auto-start a rip when it detects a new CD has been inserted.
You can mostly rip CDs without having to dork around with the GUI.

The problem with this is that the quality of the disc/artist/track
information in the free CDDB is pretty pathetic.  Like, having "The_Cars",
"The-Cars" and "TheCars" for artist directory names...

I'd probably disable the auto-start of ripping and manually verify the data
that is being pulled for the CDs.  I also figure that I'd rip at two rates,
one at 192kbps and one at something like 96kbps variable...  Our car stereo
is fairly reasonable, but it's not at all able to produce the fidelity of
listening on the main stereo system...  I'd rather have more music on the
road than better quality, to an extent...

 "What do you call it when your software licensing guy's hands start
 bleeding?  Stig-mata."  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999