[NCLUG] RFC: Tuesday Night Hacking Club?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Nov 26 02:39:09 MST 2001

I've spoken some with Evelyn and Matt Taggart about the idea of having
some sort of weekly less-formal geek get-together.  I liked Matt's
suggestion to have them the other 3 Tuesdays of the month.  I'm thinking
something like 8pm to 11pm or something.

The idea being getting together and working either alone or in pairs on
various projects we might have.  Evelyn suggested a "Knuth Study Group".  I
was thinking of just some time with geeks being geeks together.  A support
group?  ;-)

What do folks think of that?

Unfortunately, though, this isn't Seattle...  There, probably a third the
coffee shops have 802.11b wireless hooked up to a DSL line.  I think with
the number of us that have 802.11b wireless cards, that it's going to be
pretty essential to have a place that either has wireless, or has ethernet
that we can connect an AP to.  Unfortunately, in Fort Collins, that reduces
the list down to...  Nobody.

I've contacted the Wired Bean, since they at least seem to have ethernet to
their one surfing machine.  Yes, we've already talked about bringing a hub
and AP and getting some covert access.  I'd prefer a place that's actually
going to sanction the activity though...

What do people think?  Anyone interested?  Anyone have a suggestion on
places to do it?  Anyone interested in trying one this Tuesday?  And if you
were interested, would you expect to bring a desktop machine?  I suspect a
coffee-house is off-limits for that, and if a lot of people want to do it
we might have to look elsewhere.

 kill -HUMP <pid>: Process immediately stops what it's doing and fork(2)s a
 child process, which runs as a daemon.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998