[NCLUG] hdparm for HP-UX, Solaris

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Tue Nov 27 08:23:54 MST 2001

Thus spake S. Luke Jones:
> Hey, I stumbled across this "hdparm" tool for Linux. I was
> wondering if any of you HP-UX or Solaris type people knew
> of the equivalent for those operating systems. The specific
> hdparm functionality I'm interested in is -t and -T:
>
> 	-T perform timings of cache reads...
> 	-t perform timings of device reads...
>
> ...for benchmarks and comparison purposes.

 Hmm... never used hdparm in particular, but on Solaris and HP-UX you can
use iostat(1M) in a similar manner to vmstat(1M) to see activities on
individual drives and filesystems, even NFS. mpstat(1M) used in tandem
with iostat and top (for seeing what processes are running) can tell alot
about a system.

 I've also found that the power switch on an HP is a great performance
enhancer - throw it to the off position and all the cluster jobs go to
Solaris machines instead, finishing much faster. :-) Of course, I don't
have any great big HP machines so this would not be something applicable
to all sites. :-)

--
   Mike Loseke    | Eagles may soar, but weasels
 mike at verinet.com | aren't sucked into jet engines.