[NCLUG] Whistling computer

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Nov 28 20:24:36 MST 2001

Gang:

Here's an odd question: just recently, my computer has started...
whistling.

I think it's an interface card (probably the video card) because it only
starts (and immediately stops) after xscreensaver has been on for awhile...
I think it has to do with going into a certain power saving mode.

After I notice it, if I move the mouse, the authentication box for
xscreensaver comes up and the 'whistling' (a sort of high pitched squeal...
like when your monitor changes frequencies, only constant) stops.

I thought it might be the monitor, but the squeal stays there even if I
turn the monitor off, and unplug the monitor from the video card. I also
fiddled with the BIOS APM settings, but to no avail.

It's starting to get very difficult to sleep at night a few feet from my
'shreiking monitor' :-)

Has anyone seen this behavior before, and if so, found a solution?

Later,
Paul