[NCLUG] scsi'd out

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Wed Nov 28 22:16:51 MST 2001

I've never paid lots of attention to hardware, but want to add more disk
space to a system. As it turns out, what was once SCSI now comes in many
flavors and I don't know which end is up.

The specific is that I have an HP Visualize X550. It uses UW SCSI (68
pin). Is this ultra different than ultra2 and ultra3? Or is ultra the old
name for ultra2 or ultra3 (before they knew there'd be another one)? Are
they upwards compatible on a system that supports UW? And what about
LVD? Or, simply, what HD types can I add to my system?

If not the specific, is there a good source on scsi that someone can point
me to?

TIA, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B