[NCLUG] Whistling computer

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Thu Nov 29 13:10:36 MST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kirk Rheinlander wrote:

> Can you teach is some good tunes ?? ;-)

I wish... reminds me of that article a few days ago on slashdot about a
program that will display certain patterns of images on your monitor to
create music over AM radio.

Anyway... turns out you were all wrong, so there.

(Don't fscking scare me like that John... with talk of crashing hard
drives!)

Most of you suggested mechanical failure of some sort... and I suppose I
didn't do a good job of explaining that it wasn't a mechanical "squeal"...
that is I think we can all sorta tell the difference between a fan failing
(and the noise made there), and the ear-piercing noise made by, say a
monitor changing frequencies... this was the latter.

For those of you who knew me back when I was the "NCLUG slackey" back in
high school, imagine me whining like I used to do at the meetings... it was
that kind of squeal.  ;-)

The solution?

Well... I'm not quite sure what it was yet... something to do with APM,
definitely. I went into the BIOS and reset all the APM settings to the BIOS
defaults, and it "went away." (tm) (r).

I had to play with all the BIOS settings lately because I made one change
and the checksum got horked, so it nicely reset everything for me. In the
cleanup, I guess I reset something wrong.

So, while I have no "squeal" now, I have no sane APM settings either...
I'll have to play around and find which setting it was exactly that made my
computer "sing" with displeasure.

Of course, since finality is starting soon, I shouldn't be playing with APM
and my computer... but I always find the weirdest distractions when I don't
feel like doing homework at the end of the quarter... so this might be one
for the record books.

"Professor... sorry my lab is late... my computer was squealing in pain,
and I had to help it." Hey, I'm a computer science major... maybe he'll
understand... ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions gang!

Later,
Paul