[NCLUG] Mail Routing Wierdness

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Thu Nov 29 16:51:59 MST 2001

Actually, I did a bit more hunting, and it appears that the problem is
either that which you describe, or possibly that there are no brackets
around the E-mail address.  The actual SMTP handler out there is a
Raptor Firewall.  Oddly, Raptor's parent company's web page is kaput
right now:  www.axent.com returns something about a DNS failure -- but
oddly, it is a neatly formatted HTML page. Strange.  It is as if a
load-balancing box is pitching a fit...

Anyway, some versions of Raptor will deny e-mail addresses without
brackets -- eg <mdwyer at 6d.com> is correct, where mdwyer at 6d.com is
not.  There was a patch to handle this in older versions, but then
I have to hound THEM to make their mailer RFC-broken, and that seems
like the wrong thing to do.

This denial is apparently RFC-compliant.  Which would mean that our
mailer is not sending RFC compliant envelopes.  Does anyone know if
QMail can be trusted to follow spec to the letter like this?  That is,
does anyone know how QMail does its SMTP conversations?

Anyway, the DNS problem seems like it would deny the whole connection,
not just play dumb in the interpreter.