[NCLUG] ghosting a windows box

Mario Pons vricc at westminster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 07:27:28 MDT 2001

Hi Gabriel, I've come across a message you once wrote about backing up a
functional system inorder to ghost it to a number of similar (or perhaps I
should say exact) systems.
Well first of all let me introduce myself, my name is Mario, and I-m some
kind of system admin/maintentance guy of a international school in the
Canary Islands, Spain. Our lab has a number of pcs all with same specs.
I've been investigating and trying out a few things, but I'm having some
trouble getting this cloning thing to work. There are a few things I would
like to ask you. My functional system is farely small (win98, office, and
a few bits and bobs, whole thing less than 640Mb) So my aim is
eithercreating a CD, or ddeing only the desired information... My guess is
once windowz is working fine, defrag the disk so that all data is in
beggining of disk, and then dd from sector 0 ??? to sector whatever but
somehow after the end of the data around 640Mb did u understand? The thing
is I dont know exactly if you can do this with dd... can you specify the
amount of data you want to dd?
Thanks for your time :)

Greetings, Mario

*Lluco Pons, (Mario), Suburbio en Undernet       *