[NCLUG] group deal

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Mon Oct 15 11:37:03 MDT 2001

I hope I'm not overstepping the bounds of this list, but there's a deal I
have access to that others may be interested in. Interestingly enough it
comes a time when I'm reassessing my back-up plan (per an email I sent
last week).

I've been a customer of Rave computers since Jan '96 and have spent some
$20k with them. The scoop is that they have a batch of systems that they
had built for a client 18 months ago in some sort of lease program. The
client closed its doors and they are trying to mitigate their losses by
selling off these systems. They are normally selling them for $600+, but
my rep has told me that if I place a bulk order we could get them for
less. (Sorry, if I'm rambling. I'm not sure what order to explain stuff
in.) So the question is how many people would be seriously interested in
the following system for $385 + shipping (might be $20 to $25). I'll be
getting one (if enough others are interested), but we'd need at least 10
for the order. They are guaranteed not DOA, but have no warantee.

They are 1U form factor servers with 550 MHz Pentium III's, 512 MB of RAM,
with two SCSI Hard Drives, 9 GB each. The motherboards are Intel L440GX
serverboards, dual processor capable, dual-channel SCSI controller on
board, dual PCI bus as well. They are currently populated with only ONE
processor.  The serverboard supports up to 2 866 MHz processors (but the
current case can't fit 2 CPUs) and up to 2 GB of RAM. One NIC on board,
one PCI NIC. Floppy and CDROM.

Peace, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B