[NCLUG] free monitors

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Oct 23 12:52:52 MDT 2001

	 We always get this question when we clean out our machine rooms of unwanted
	stuff and give it away to the engineers. The best answer is usually "as
	far as you know, yes".  Unless is has the word "BAD" scrawled across it
	in permanent marker it probably works.

Unless one has outragous screen burn, most most of these 5-10 year old monitors
can be easily repaired with a $20-30 cap kit. They have a good chance of being
fixed frequency, which will require getting certain Matrox cards (or other
cards that will do fixed frequency). Most are probably 1024x768, or so, with
a fairly large dot pitch ... you would have to check the specs.

I've been using SGI/Sun 19/20/21" monitors for years - they work great and
sure beat a tiny screen for aging eyes.

John