[NCLUG] Nifty Rackmount

Kirk Rheinlander kirk at kpj2.com
Wed Oct 24 14:45:08 MDT 2001

At 11:47 AM 10/24/2001, you wrote:
> > I'll probably try them out when I get that nifty rackmount box that
> > William came up with :)

Linux goodies From "Open Source" in Infoworld....

Speaking of Sun, the company had extensive demos of its
Linux-based Cobalt server appliances. These marvelous
little plug-in-and-go appliances provide Web
functionality in minutes with a very simple management
interface. Yet even folks familiar with the Cobalt
Qube and the Cobalt Raq might be surprised to find
that the family has grown to include CacheRaQ, an
inexpensive device that provides scalable Web-caching,
and the Cobalt Control Station, which deploys services
and manages large volumes of Cobalt servers. And, by
the way, they all run Linux.

Then there is Promicro Systems, which sells
high-performance compute clusters as well as servers
that feature two independent servers in a 1U form
factor. Even without a Penguin sticker on the outside
of the box, you can get it with Linux inside.

Another young company, Egenera, has been focusing on
large systems in the financial arena. Through its
remarkable development of server blades, Egenera can
add additional processing power to a company's server
farm quickly and painlessly. These servers eliminate
the hassle normally involved with increasing compute
power to meet demand. And, oh yes, they run Linux, too.