[NCLUG] Re: ext3 vs. ReiserFS

C.J. Keist cjay at engr.colostate.edu
Wed Oct 24 17:20:17 MDT 2001

If anyone's interested here are couple of links about XFS and JFS for Linux:

http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jfs/index.html

Right now SGI has the head start for support on linux.

At 04:49 PM 10/24/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>         I know for a fact that availability of dump/restore would make or
> break
>         the adoption of a specific filesystem where I work... :)
>
>I've been using dump w/amanda+EXB-440 on several ext3 filesystems under
>the RH7.1.94 beta.
>The dump see's the journal file and appears to do the right thing on
>lightly loaded
>filesystem. I haven't needed (wanted to spend the time yet) to stress test
>it. I may
>soon just to be safe.
>
>I have been using two large software Raid 5 arrays - FC 6x18GB and 12x9GB
>10K Drives.
>There are serious problems with the raid software during power sags where
>the supply
>might drop a bit and reset a few of the active drives. The Linux raid
>software makes
>a huge mistake with this, and varies the drives off line and attempts to
>briefly
>run with fewer than enough drives. The result is the serial/transaction
>numbers in the
>array get out of wack and the array is useless until manually recovered. I
>could probably
>hide this with a faster UPS and more lightly load the drive array power -
>but it's
>a problem in any case.
>
>Will be upgrading all 4 systems tonight/tomarrow to RH7.2 to get off the
>beta which
>has been pretty stable.
>
>I'm seriously thinking about switching to ReiserFS - but all these
>filesystems are
>far less robust than they try to imply. They only journal meta data at
>best, which
>really leaves the filesystem wide open for serious data corruption that
>might take
>months to notice (past normal full dump holding cycles for many shops).
>
>John

I just want the chance to prove 'Money can't buy Happiness'" - a bumper sticker

C. J. Keist                     Email: cjay at engr.colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager            Phone: 970-491-0630
Engineering Network Services    Fax:   970-491-5569
College of Engineering, CSU
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301