[NCLUG] vi word-wrap, please help !

Gabriel L Somlo somlo at CS.ColoState.EDU
Sat Oct 27 17:07:21 MDT 2001

Hey,

During the last year or so, I got hooked on vi. I was using NEdit before,
and now I find myself typing vi stuff into it, so I guess it's time to say
goodbye.

The only thing that drives me nuts is that, when writing lengthy text
documents (e.g., papers), vi insists on either indiscriminately wrapping a
long line regardless of word boundaries, or it inserts newline
characters before a line gets too long, thus turning a long line into lots
of short ones.

My question is: Can I tweak vi into keeping long lines intact, displaying
them wrapped, but wrap them on word boundaries instead of every
'screenwidth' characters ?

Thanks much,

Gabriel

     Gabriel L.  Somlo                   Assistant System Administrator
Computer Science Department
 Colorado State University               e-mail: somlo at cs.colostate.edu
  601 Howes St. 2nd Floor                 phone: +1 (970) 491-5305
  Fort Collins,  CO 80523