[NCLUG] default buffer memory size

Eric Brunson brunson at level3.net
Sun Oct 28 22:22:08 MST 2001

If you're asking what's the default amount of memory Linux will use
for file buffers, there isn't a default size.  The kernel will use as
much of the free memory that it wants for file buffers and give it up
as it needs it for application.

You can see what's being used with the free command:

charlie(~)$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers      cached
Mem:        191020     187760       3260          0      69684       73820
-/+ buffers/cache:      44256     146764
Swap:       529160      44916     484244

* Elena Jakubikova (immina at hotmail.com) [011028 21:39]: