[NCLUG] RH networking scripts

Mike Loseke mike at verinet.com
Mon Oct 29 09:23:15 MST 2001

Thus spake S. Luke Jones:
> Those of you who use Red Hat for serious systems -- I mean,
> commercial and enterprise customers of RH and its derivatives,
> as distict from bottom-feeding home workstation types like me.
> Do you use the networking scripts that RH supplies? And if not,
> what procedure do you use to avoid them?
>
> I wonder, because I've come to the conclusion that they're
> beyond redemption. The theory appears to be that the scripts
> let everything plug into the /etc/rc.d/init.d infrastructure
> so networking's complexities (physical layer, etc.) are all
> abstracted away.

 I'm curious as to what issues you're having that would cause you to need
to replace the scripts provided. True, RedHat has probably over-engineered
some of their scripts but they work pretty good. They took the SysV init
method and kind of perverted it, but with current releases they are falling
more inline with the mainstream (i.e. Solaris). They even have /etc/init.d
linked to /etc/rc.d/init.d now.

--
                  | Death is only a state of mind. Only
   Mike Loseke    | it doesn't leave you much time to
 mike at verinet.com | think about anything else.