[NCLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installed.

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Mon Oct 29 16:38:16 MST 2001

John Purser wrote:

> In defense of Red Hat let me say I've installed 7.1 on a couple of Pentium
> machines (166, 550) and it is a very slick install.  I was having trouble
> with a hard drive at one point and repeatedly re-installed Windows 2000 and
> Red Hat 7.1.  After a few cycles I think I proffered the Red Hat
> installation process over Windows.
>
> I'll add that a friend of mine also tried Mandrake and prefers it over all
> others.
>
> I'm currently a fan of Debian.
>
> Aint choice grand?
>
> John Purser
I've recently installed Mandrake and will have to admit it was probably
the 'slickest' Linux install I've done to date. They do a few things
that I need to 'fix', but all in all a wonderful install. Which is
quite a far cry from the Windows ME reinstall I just did for my wife.
The OS, plus office 2000, the nic driver it couldn't find the first
time through and all the sp's and updates ad nauseum...was 14 reboots
by the time I stopped counting! What a painful piece of #$%#! Not
to mention the instability from all the other games/apps being installed
that required the reload of OS in the first place! One of the things
that really amazed me was the initial install didn't recognize the
M$ usb mouse and I had to tab my way through the install. Why on god's
green earth so many people put up with such a terrible OS is beyond
any comprehension.

Mark

--

Mark Horning