[NCLUG] Re. Mandrake

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Mon Oct 29 17:31:23 MST 2001

Just following up on the last M$ note. Since I'm getting some 1U servers
I'm getting rid of some HPs. They're good for people who don't have a
big budget for computers (or for Linux ;-) ). So I'm putting M$ 98 back on
them (and StarOffice) figuring some young families could use them. FOUR
reboots just for loading the OS, never mind the 3 for Netscape and
StarOffice.

Why do people use it? I know your question was part tongue in cheek,
but the obvious lack of options for the everyday user (of course,
mainly because M$ stomped on the competition - I'm old Unix world,
but I remember seeing OS2 in the early 90s and it was pretty decent
for the platform). I'd love to get my wife's business to switch, but she
and her partner are too entrenched in M$. I'm still contemplating getting
Linux on my wife's old computer that we're giving to my mom. But I'm still
nervous about how I would deal with printing for her.

BTW, it's probably gotten around to people more in the know, but I read
today that Sony has announced its introduction of Linux for Playstation 2
in the States (for Japan it was last May). And I'm looking forward to the
PDA thing at the InstallFest.

Peace, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint:   DC 80 E4 18 E2 CB AC F4  8C 59 9B 9C BB A2 D7 4B