[NCLUG] Re. Mandrake

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Oct 29 18:03:36 MST 2001

> Why do people use it? I know your question was part tongue in cheek,
> but the obvious lack of options for the everyday user (of course,
> mainly because M$ stomped on the competition - I'm old Unix world,
> but I remember seeing OS2 in the early 90s and it was pretty decent
> for the platform). I'd love to get my wife's business to switch, but
she

<sigh> I remember the GEOS platform being pretty darn cool, too.  That
is,
on the Commodore 64, it sucked.  It was impressive how much they could
do with the hardware, but the GeoWorks Ensemble was really impressive on
a 386.

That said, I kind of wish somebody over there would work on some
porting.
I think it would move over pretty easily -- the apps were all
objective-C
of some kind on top of a Motif interface.  But I digress...  GeoWriter
is still more than enough of a word processor for me.

It would appear that GeoWorks is now in the business of suing people
with
their outrageous patents...

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  :P