[NCLUG] error: "mount: No medium found"

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sat Sep 8 11:52:26 MDT 2001

So I'm setting up my spiffy new PC with the latest (8/1) KRUD
and I'm getting this error whenever I try to mount a cd-rom.
The CD drive itself is okay, as evidenced by it working when
I booted off it to install KRUD a couple of hours ago. But now
every single CD-ROM I try to read gives me this same error.
(The media work fine in other machines' drives.)

The /etc/fstab entry says:

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0

But mount doesn't work, with or without all the arguments that
/etc/fstab allows me to avoid.

This new drive is a CD-RW. I've never used one before but for
reading a standard CD or CD-R it shouldn't be any different,
right? I understood the problem to be in the other direction,
using CD-RW media in a(n old) CD-ROM or CD-R drive.

The same problem occurs with the DVD-ROM drive but I'm not
surprised by that because DVD's a complete mystery to me.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com