[NCLUG] error: "mount: No medium found"

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sun Sep 9 21:53:46 MDT 2001

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make xconfig
> (select SCSI support; SCSI CD-ROM support; then save and exit)
> make modules; make modules_install
> /sbin/modprobe sr_mod
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom1

Thanks for the suggestion. It works.

I have two devices: a plextor CDRW that shows up in dmesg as
hdc, and an AOpen DVD-ROM that shows up in dmesg as hdd. Your
method allows me to mount the CDRW but only as scd0. The DVD
I can mount as /dev/hdd. So I'm 97% happy.

What's up, though, with this CDRW? It shows up in dmesg as hdc
but then I mount it as scd0. I looked at the /dev/cdrom* and
found that
	... /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/scd0
	... /dev/cdrom  -> /dev/hdd
Which isn't the ordering I'd prefer but I'm not sure how to
make the CDRW "cdrom" and the DVD "cdrom1" (or, better yet,
maybe "dvd"???). But that isn't a big deal: I can live with it
either way. I'm just puzzled, though about why I've got one
piece of hardware that's responding (at different points) as
both hdc and as scd0. Maybe the ide_scsi device is just that
kind of beast, but it bugs me.

Any pointers as to where I can find out more about the ide-scsi
device? What's the deal there?

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com