[NCLUG] mount: No medium found (sort of)

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sun Sep 9 22:18:12 MDT 2001

I wrote too soon, earlier. Everything appears to be hunky dory
when I add the sr_mod module as recommended by Daniel Herrington.
That is, so long as I only do
	# mount /mnt/cdrom
	# cd /mnt/cdrom
	# ls

but when I follow this with

	# cd RedHat/RPMS
	# rpm -Uvh blah blah blah

I get

	error: read failed: Input/output error (5)
	error: (blah) cannot be installed

where (blah) is one of the packages I attempted to install on
the line above.

For those of you just tuning into this soap opera, cdrom is
the DVD-ROM. cdrom1 is the CDRW. When I do the same procedure
on the CDRW I don't get the read error. Is this behavior to
be expected with DVD-ROMs (never used one before, myself) or
is my media marginal, or what? How could I determine what is
to blame, hardware, medium, software, etc.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com