[NCLUG] Code Rainbow: New attack, MUCH nastier...

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Tue Sep 18 13:21:29 MDT 2001

The information on this worm is still a little spotty.  I'm still not
sure if there are actually two worms or just one.  There are two
names, at least.  Code Rainbow is one, something-starting-with-an-N
(heh) is the other one.  Nimea?  Something like that...

Anyway, it apparently moves via E-mail (Readme.exe), unsecured shares
(any share you can get to with a uname of "guest" and no password),
and also via IIS code-red-style propagation.  This last one seems
to be the one that is trashing the net.  At 10am, I had 3000 hits,
I've almost broken 5000, now, and my users are complaining about
network speeds. :(

If nothing else, everyone here who has a few extra IPs left over
might want to look into LaBrea to try to slow this thing down:

http://www.hackbusters.net/

Also, FRII is working to limit the effects of this attack on it's
customers by blocking compromised machines.  They are a little
busy, though, as you might imagine. :)