[NCLUG] Apache Seg Faults

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Tue Sep 18 14:23:06 MDT 2001

> Since the spread of the worm this morning, I'm getting lots of errors
> Apache's logs:
> [Tue Sep 18 14:01:52 2001] [notice] child pid 25413 exit signal
Segmentation
> fault (11)
>
> This has been logged over 300 times today, 0 yesterday. There's info
on the
> 'net about this error, but I haven't found anything that relates this
error
> to the worm. Info anyone?

Can you find the matching request that caused this fault?  Also, are
you running anything strange in your Apache?  We're not seeing this in
a vanilla 1.3.12 with mod_php and mod_perl.

The attacks I am seeing are all generally unicode attacks.  If Apache
has problems with Unicode decoding, it could be related to that.
Otherwise,
this appears to be pretty much IIS-specific.

Also, the only current problems I know of with Apache have to do with
some database-based auth modules.