[NCLUG] qmail patch for oversized DNS

Daniel Herrington danielh at ftc.agilent.com
Fri Apr 5 17:02:09 MST 2002

Okay, because I'm lazy, I thought I'd ask the group before I spend any
more time at this.  I've installed qmail-1.03, and I'm getting
CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily errors with some recipients.  I found a
nice little patch on this page:

I chose the third solution, which looks like this:
http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/qmail-103.patch

When I untar the qmail-1.03.tar.gz, put the patch file in the directory
above, and try to "patch -p0 < qmail-103.patch" I get the following:

patching file qmail-1.03/dns.c
Hunk #2 FAILED at 47.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file qmail-1.03/dns.c.rej
missing header for unified diff at line 56 of patch
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
|    i = dn_expand(response.buf,responseend,responsepos,name,MAXDNAME);
File to patch:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
   Daniel Herrington