[NCLUG] speakers/topics needed

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Sun Apr 21 22:48:24 MDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:59:09PM -0600, S. Luke Jones wrote:
>Would the audience be people eager to get away from emacs
>before it destroys their health and renders them unable

Well, this discussion came up at a hackingsociety.org meeting where we were
all sharing various tips and tricks for using vim.  The things I recall
were:

   using folding to make code easier to deal with
   using "vi scp://remotehost/file"
   I had a small shell script and .vimrc which includes a "cvs diff" in
      the editor for "cvs commit" so that you can create a blow-by-blow
      of the changes.
   Using autocmds to have different settings depending on the type of
      file (for example, I have text files expand tabs, but C, Python, and
      make files do not).
   I also use autocmds so that when I start editing a python file, it
      brings up a template with the #!, header, and other info.
   vimdiff is a fantastic replacement for diff, which makes use of folding.

 Microsoft treats objects like women, man...
                 -- Kevin Fenzi, paraphrasing the Dude, 1998