[NCLUG] hey all you DSL users

Rich Blinne richblinne at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 09:59:39 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Loseke" <mike at verinet.com>
To: <nclug at nclug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 8:49 AM
Subject: [NCLUG] hey all you DSL users

>  By some feat of karma I may actually be able to get some DSL at my house
> very soon now and needed to ask a couple of ISP-related questions as I've
> been away from DSL for a couple years now.
>
>  I'll probably go with FRII for the connection but I wanted to see what
> kind of issues anyone was having with them or others. I've been seeing
alot
> of DSL problems floating around the frii-tech list, most of which I
believe
> are related to New Edge DSL customers (this is different if I'm carried by
> Qwest, right?). I'm mainly curious about uptime - my last house's DSL
> connection had one serious downtime related to a qwest strike but other
> than that it was very up.

That's my experience also.  I have Qwest/FRII DSL.  One problem was because
Qwest had got me confused with another Verinet customer in their database.
(Verinet at the time was very helpful running interference here.)  The
second was related to a splitter I used to get to my second line where DSL
was coming in.  DSL HATES splitters.  I moved over to the first line and
everything has been as smooth as a baby's behind.  Recently, my Linksys HPNA
firewall/router gave up the ghost.  It had all my setup info in it.  I
called up FRII to find out all the numbers.  They phoned me at home with the
info!  Contrast that with Qwest/MSN where it can take weeks to get help.
FRII lets you do anything with you connection including servers.  The caveat
is if traffic is over 20 GB per month then you pay a per MB charge.  I have
the essential DSL package, and a static I.P.  I use (uh, used) a Linksys
DHCP router to do NAT to my static I.P.  Your mileage may vary, but mine has
been good.