[NCLUG] x startup

marciot marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Sat Apr 27 14:11:23 MDT 2002

On trick you can use is to use the machine that works
to find out what .rpm contains the file that is missing,
so you can install it on the machine that does not work.

Do the following:

Log in to the machine that works, and find the file
"libXfont.so.1". If you don't know where it is, use:

   find / -name libXfont.so.1

Suppose it is "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so.1" (as it is
under RH7.1). Now, use the "rpm" command to ask the machine
which .rpm that file came from:

   rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so.1

On my system, I get "XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5". Now, log in
to the machine that does *not* work and see whether that
package is installed:

   rpm -qa | grep XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5

If it *isn't* installed, then that's the problem. Get out
your RedHat CDs, find the appropriate RPM, and install it.
The command will be something like:

   rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-libs-4.0.3-5.rpm

Anyhow, you can also repeat the same procedure to figure
out what .rpm file "fonts.dir" comes from.

Hope this helps,

Marcio Luis Teixeira