[NCLUG] compaq 1750 dual boot?

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Apr 29 09:28:40 MDT 2002

dherr at frii.com wrote:
> Does anyone happen to have a Compaq Armada 1750 or similar?
> If so, how do I get it to dual boot Linux and Windows?  When
> I try to set up my partitions and then reinstall Win95, it
> only gives me the option of "format & restore," which just
> repartitions the drive as one big Win95 disk (and a 14MB
> diagnostic tools partition).

Oh, I am sooo sorry...  :)

Many of those OEM machines ship with an 'image' disk, and not a true,
installable version of Windows.  So, you can only reinstall on the exact
same hardware, and you cannot make any installation choices.

You MIGHT be able to install the windows, then use Partition Magic (or
similar tool) to move around the windows partition to make room for
Linux.  Otherwise, a better option is to go find a full copy of Windows
and install from that.  Of course, in that case, all the specialized
drivers for the laptop have to be located an installed...

Doncha just love Windows?