[NCLUG] ISP suggestions

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Mon Aug 5 00:26:24 MDT 2002

"John L. Bass" wrote:

>         > (update: it happened while I was reading this email and doing nothing
>         > else... so, see attached/annotated file for details; so, could this be
>         > modem 'retraining'? I never had this problem with my trusty 28.8, but that
>         > was on a different line (same house, though) and was 4 years ago.
>         >
>         Doesn't look like re-training.  V.90 is much more susceptible than V.34 or
>         lower, plus you'd likely lose packets.
>
> Nor is it an ISP/POP/Cisco end problem since it would tend to affect a large group of
> customers as a general symptom and there would be a lot more bitching in the community.
>
> Retrain's are transparent for most modems with PPP, other than a delay and very small
> amount of buffer overrun (in the client end TCP/PPP stack). Heck ... with many PPP
> setups, the line can drop and PPP will redial transparently without packet loss. So
> 10 second packet delays are not totally unexpected without knowing a lot more about
> the specific nature of the problem and determinging where the packet lived for the
> 10 second delay.

Under linux ppp over modem, retrains *are* transparent.  I have actually
done experiments with this one, have seen EXACTLY the symptoms you
describe, and can detect them and cause them at will.  If you can get
your hands on a butt-set (beige-box, doncha know), put it in-line with
the modem and listen when this problem happens.  Want to force it to
happen?  Short out the line a couple times, or do something to cause
noise on the line.  The modem will, what I assume you all describe as
'retraining'.  It will resync with the other modem.  While it is
negotiating, the pings will halt.  However, once the modems are
connected again, all the bits will go through, though naturally with
HUGE round trip times.

You might also be able to simulate a butt set by setting ATL3M3 (or
whatever it is to leave the modem speaker on ALWAYS).  The noise will
drive you short of insane, but it is the only way I know of to detect
when a modem is retying...

Just for the running, FRII and I have had our differences, certainly.
They left me high and dry, oh, about this time last year when I had a
job that absolutly positively had to be done THAT DAY.  But ALL other
dealings I have had with them have been very good.  Despite holding a
near monopoly in the area, I take my business to them with no
resignation or feeling of being forced...  Its the INTERNET, maaaaaan.

(But if you want to try something else, USOL.com provides
quasi-nationwide dialups, including in FCL.  They are Linux Agnostic, at
least.  But expect worse support than FRII...)