[NCLUG] i don't give a toss about ISPs

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Mon Aug 5 09:56:02 MDT 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> ... or half the other non-linux crap on this list.  can we move it to a
> new list?  say geek-issues at nclug.org?  or would it be more effective to
> create a linux at nclug.org and move the actual linux stuff to it.

As a data point, every few months, someone who feels their time is so
much more important than everyone else's that they can't just press 'd'
(for us pine users) for threads that don't interest them anymore suggests
this on the SVLUG lists.

And even though it gets suggested every few months, no new list ever gets
created because it's way more hassle, for a number of reasons, than it's
worth. It's much easier  to just tell that person to delete threads they
don't care about anymore.

It's not like even NCLUG generates 50-100 messages a day, *un*like SVLUG.

> it's my experience that oldtimers tend to feel they have the `right' to
> discuss cars/guns/sex/isps on the original lists and it sometimes makes

What mailing list have you been reading?

I'd like to discuss guns.

And sex, too.

> much more sense to move the technical discussion to a different list,
> leaving the clique on the original list.  maybe nclug is more mature than
> that.

How is asking which ISP to use with Linux or debugging a crappy connection
(again using Linux) not a 'technical' discussion on a Linux list?

As an aside, I feel it necessary to note that I resent the implication that
you think because I'm an 'oldtimer' that I somehow feel it's ok to 'abuse'
the mission of the list by posting unrelated threads to it, something which
I challenge you to find examples of; I think you'll find I've seldom, if
*ever* done so.

I'd also be willing to bet a number of people other than myself derived
some use out of the discussion of which ISP is best for Linux-using users
in Northern Colorado and how to debug modem connections; seems to fit the
NCLUG charter to me.

I'm not going to perpetuate a thread about whether or not a thread is on
topic; it's a waste of time. But I wanted to chime in once (what else is
new?)

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                 preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
  Wait, stop!  We can outsmart those dolphins.  Don't forget: we invented
  computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory
  hole, *and* the pudding cup!  -- Homer Simpson, Tree House of Horror XI