charter for LUG (Re: [NCLUG] i don't give a toss about ISPs)

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Tue Aug 6 06:43:31 MDT 2002

Is this the right room for an argument?

It's been interesting to watch an off-topic (?) request by JPR
for help with an ISP degenerate into a series of discussions
about the charter of the mailing list and then the leadership
of NCLUG itself.

But not very.

Perhaps the best way to move the email traffic to something
more edifying would be *by example*. Anyone can bitch and moan
about much better things would be if only a certain set of
policies were implemented. But it might be more effective
*to post something interesting*.

(Ditto for giving an interesting talk. If Matt or the NCLUG
Board (?) is preventing someone from giving an interesting
talk, how hard would it be to usurp control of a presentation?
Or, if you wish to be polite, how hard would it be to lobby
for it on the list? Certainly it can't be any harder than it
is to advertise turkish toner refills.)

If Matthew Wilcox wants to be engaged by a thoughtful discussion
of the kernel's IDE rewrite (or whatever melts his butter) he's
a lunatic to look for it on the NCLUG list or at NCLUG meetings.
If John L. Bass wants to discuss the reserved bits in octet five
of the border gateway protocol's NACK header, well, likewise.
There are better fora for those discussions than a community
LUG.

I submit that the appropriate charter for a community LUG is
community issues: where in Colorado can I buy a motherboard?
Does the Tattered Cover have techical books?  Is there a
Linux-savvy ISP around here, and, for that matter what are the
merits of a local ISP versus somebody big like Worldcom? :-)
Can someone hold my hand while I install Gnome?  Where can I
meet some hot Linux grrls who like to walk in the sand that
used to be Horsetooth reservoir and reading passionate
Klingonese poetry?

--
Luke Jones  luke vortex frii fullstop com