[NCLUG] Verisign are morons...

Michael Dwyer mdwyer at sixthdimension.com
Wed Aug 7 10:32:03 MDT 2002

Mike Loseke wrote:
> Thus spake Michael Dwyer:
>
>>Look up a whois record using their own web interface... :)
>

>  Can this even be done any longer using 'whois'?

Well, kinda...  But nowadays you need a 'whois' that does recursive
lookups.  You typically do a whois from netsol, who gives you a pointer
to another whois server (say, tucows or something), where you do the
lookup again.

Lacking said recursive whois client, I use the one at 'Geektools.com',
but NetSol considers them a bulk consumer, and so blocked their access
or something -- related to the message I saw.

I'd throw a 'good ol' days' rant in here, but someone would probably
counter with "Yeah? Well, I used to call up John Postel to read
addresses out of his notepad to me!"

ObOnTopic: Many modern distros seem to come with a recursive whois
nowdays.  The problem is that they often require the services of some
4GL to work.